Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lessons

Lesson 1:
When sending Dork to wash some fabric in preparation for sewing, make sure all yarn is out of the way. This WAS about half of my Purple Sunset handspun from last year's Tour de Fleece. Accidentally (not entirely his fault) sent through the wash with lots of cotton fabric. Oops! I didn't get around to spinning the other 3 batts for this year, so I at least can match the hank I have left.

Lesson 2:
Use stitch markers to mark the gusset and instep stitches so you don't spend too much time backtracking. When the Summer Knitty Surprise came out last week, the Sunday Swing Socks yelled out "Make me with the Mini Mochi!" And who am I to ignore a message like that? I love it when it is easy to match pattern and yarn and have it work the first time around!

Lesson 3:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again. The STR in Tanzanite has finally found what it wants to be - The Lace Rib socks from The Little Box of Socks. This is the 3rd try at knitting this colorway.



Lesson 4:
I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed The Muppet Show. I'm watching Season 2 on DVD and it's still very entertaining. However, I've done my share of knitting with eyelash yarn - aka "muppet pelts", and won't do that again! But watching the show brings back memories of our entire family (I was in high school) sitting down each week and every one of us enjoying the humor. The Dork isn't really watching, but he's come out of his cave a few times and laughed at Milton Berle and Rich Little.

2 comments:

Zardra said...

Ooo, I like the way the Mini Mochi socks are turning out.

AlisonH said...

Oh goodness that looks felted--if you need someone to help pry it back apart, let me know.

My oldest helpfully once threw a sweater of mine through the wash: my second-ever one I knitted in high school (still fit), Scandinavian style, four colors, and even actually made of wool back in those 70's acrylic days. Oh well. It gave me a chance to teach my children about the properties of wool and how to take care of it. (vs *not*)