Thursday, August 6, 2009

Portland

OMG, I'm in Portland for Sock Summit - OMG, OMG, OMG - I'm having so much fun!

Okay, enough of sounding like I'm a teenager. But I just had a fabulous day out with the Purl Girls yesterday. The towers are of the Oregon Convention Center.



I haven't seen any of the Sock Summit banners yet, but we did find this display in Powell's. An end cap display, right at one of the entrances. Click to make bigger!

There was some squealing involved, and book buying! No knitting books, but I found some out-of-print stuff that was on the To Read List.




Nathania and I left Powell's and went over to Knit-Purl where I fell in love with this little ball of Merino-3 by Catherine Lowe Couture Yarns. It's such a luscious little cake of a color called Black Violet that I had to have it. After all, I am the Queen of Purple Yarn!






We then walked over to The Button Emporium and Ribbonry and found buttons for a sweater she's working on. I, however, found buttons for a sweater that exists only in my dreams so far, but it will be done in the Plum Paisley colorway of Dream in Color Classy. Can you see why? (I can't find a link or a picture of the new color, but it's a darker version of Pansy Go-lightly.) And I loved the sheepy ribbon!

We also were at Josephine's Dry Goods - a REAL fabric store that had luscious fabric. I see that I failed to take a picture of the cute flannel I found to back a baby quilt. Maybe next time...

We happened to find a parking space by the First Presbyterian Church, and I was struck by the juxtaposition of the older church (built 1889-90) with the newer building behind it. It's hard to remember that our cities have hidden historical treasures. You can get a fuller view of the area if you take a little time to find out about the people who are the founders and previous inhabitants of the places you are visiting.

I'll have more time to explore this city later, but right now, I'm waiting for the call this morning to head over to the Convention Center to set up the booth.

(Oh - and Jade - you're an awesome roommate!)

No comments: