Saturday, August 22, 2009

My Stars!

(Warning: lots of pictures!)

Last week, I sat out in the peacefulness of my backyard and watched about a dozen shooting stars zoom over my head, courtesy of the Perseid meteor shower. It gave me some time to reflect on Sock Summit and Portland, Oregon and the wonderfulness of the Purlescence crew who gave me the opportunity to attend this event.

Friday was the first full selling day, and it was a loooong day! The market was open from 8:30 AM to 6 PM, to accomodate class attendees. It was also my shopping day. But first, Jade and I participated in the Guinness World Record attempt at the Most Number of People Knitting Simultaneously". The rules were - 2 needles only, knit for 15 minutes without stopping. (And yes, Jade is wearing her handknit socks pinned all over her clothing. She thought it would be an excellent way to show off her work - and I agree!)

We sat with Irishgirlieknits and Christy.












This is where I started







And 15 minutes later, here's where I stopped. Because I don't actually own any long straight needles anymore, I bought some Kollage square double-pointed needles. I liked them a lot! This is the Ann Norling Short-Row Multi-directional Scarf in Crystal Palace Mini Mochi, color 113 (tropical ginger).

This is the scarf I knit on for most of my time on the show floor; it ended up being about 5" wide x 80" long (it took 2 full balls of yarn).

Saturday and Sunday were comprised of more selling and more shopping and meeting more people and more inspiration and more....

Star Purchases:
This is all Sandi's fault! Socks that Rock Lightweight, destined to be a Charlotte's Web Shawl. From L to R: Lauma, Mermaid, KMBFLA, Beached, Tanzanite, Jubilation. (luckily for my wallet, I already owned the Tanzanite and Jubilation)



Other yarn (L to R): Black Bunny fibers, MacKintosh Yarns- Iona in color Taurus, STR Lightweight Rare Gems (2), Kangaroo Dyer, Huntington (Valley Yarns), Meg's Royal Purple from Periwinkle Sheep, Laceweight Colrain (Valley Yarns)

There were more purchases, but most of those weren't photographed before they became gifts.

The fiber (L to R): Crown Mountain Superwash Merino in Purple Rain, Huckleberry Knits Targhee top in Twilight, MaryJane's Attic.





Remember my button purchase? I'm pretty pleased that my color memory was just right!






More Stars:
SuperPurlescence Heroes - courtesy of Handknit Heroes.











Speaking of Stars, here are the Rivendell socks from the Sock Museum. Liz knit them in Dream in Color's Starry yarn, color - Grey Tabby, that has sparkly bits in it - don't know if you can see it in the picture.




Here's one of the cutest stars you'll ever see! Ellie was hugging these big knitted snakes at the Skacel booth. Never mind the man who was knitting 7 pairs of socks on one big (120") circular needle!







At the Luminary Panel. This closing event was absolutely awe-inspiring, tear- and laughter-producing (both in quantity) and worth all of the time on our feet. The Knitting Stars were out in force and we all benefited from their wisdom.




Portland was definitely the Star destination of the weekend. It was a joyous, green, comfortable place. I would go back in a heartbeat!






All in all, Sock Summit created such a knitting euphoria in everyone who attended. I hope that it will continue, in whatever format, as often as people are willing to step up to the plate. The Organizers (ST-1 and ST-2) put together a magnificent event, and I hope they will be able to do so again in the future.

Speaking of socks, I've finished my Mini Mochi socks in the Sunday Swing pattern. Love the pattern, loved the yarn, and they're nice and squooshy on the feet.








Here's a sample sock I'm knitting out of Flat Feet. Well on the way up the cuff, and so far have used less than half the first sock blank.






Other knitting on the needles:
1) Still working on my Sea & Shells stole; maybe about 75% done now.
2) Desperate to start the Farmer's Market Cardigan from the new Interweave Knits (Fall 2009), but must deal with a dye issue first.

3) If I couldn't start the Farmer's Market Cardigan, and needed to work on larger needles to give my hands a rest, then I should start another sweater that has been at the top of my queue since I don't know when, right? This is the Laurel Seamless Cardigan, from Knit 'n Style, April 2007. I've had the yarn (Schaefer Laurel) in stash since well before 2007.





I'll leave you with one final hurrah, from the pumpkin plant that hasn't figured out when to quit! It's come through the brick wall that divides the veggie garden and the patio and there are 2 small pumpkins on it, plus another flower.

And with that, so ends my summer! School begins next week.

3 comments:

Marie said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun! Thanks again for the gifted sock yarn - my own little bit of Sock Summit.

Stacie said...

Queen,
You certainly rocked the purple yarn purchases! And I love the mini mochi socks. They look scrumptious. Careful with the pumpkin--it maybe demonic and have designs on your ankles.

AlisonH said...

A post that makes me want to jump up and down and yell, "YAY!" What fun! As for pumpkin flowers, since they're edible, you can (ahem) nip them in the bud.